University of Minnesota
Asian Languages & Literature

Asian Languages and Literature.


The department academic advisor can help with major and minor course requirements and planning, directed study, study/volunteer/work abroad, and internships. Students should meet with the academic advisor at least once a year to ensure they are making timely progress toward degree completion. This is especially true for juniors and seniors, to make sure they are on track to graduate on time and that no requirements have been overlooked. If the ALL adviser has not made updates to your APAS report, it will not accurately reflect your progress in the major/minor. Please contact the adviser with any questions.

ALL's department academic advisor is Claudia Hasegawa. To declare a major or minor, you must meet with her and complete the major or minor program form. Note: So we may better serve you, please bring an unofficial copy of your transcript with you when you meet with the academic advisor.

Tracking Your Degree Process

Keep copies of all paperwork until your degree is final. We recommend that you obtain a final transcript after you graduate to make sure your major(s) and minor(s) have posted correctly to your transcript. This is particularly important for non-CLA students who have completed the requirements for one of ALL’s minors.

College Advisors

College advisors are knowledgeable about registration questions, the college’s degree requirements, extra-curricular activities, and post-graduation plans. Meet with your college advisor at least once a year.

Most ALL students who are in the College of Liberal Arts have the Languages and Mathematics Community (16 Johnston, 612-625-2020), or the Honors Program (390 Northrop, 612-624-5522), for their advising office. CLA Advising has “how to” guides and other useful information.


Special Opportunities for Undergraduates

The Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP) gives awards to undergraduates who wish to work with a faculty mentor on a creative activity or research project. UROP students receive stipends of up to $1400 and receive reimbursement for expenses of up to $300.

Advising for Careers, Community Involvement, Service-Learning, and Off-Campus Study Programs

For information on careers, community involvement, service-learning, and off-campus study programs, please visit:
CLA Career Services
Community Service-Learning Center
Off-Campus Study Programs


ALL Academic Advisor
Claudia Hasegawa
220A Folwell Hall


Breaks & Summer Term
Advising is very limited at these times, so it is important to see the academic advisor during the fall or spring semester. Please contact the academic advisor directly to schedule an appointment during breaks or summer term.